If you are wondering how to write an article for your website, you are in luck, because you have come to the write (right) place.
Did you know that anybody can write an article? No matter what your age? Once you can read and write, you can start using your writing skills to make some extra money for yourself, and writing is such a useful skill to have. The best part is that the more you do it, the better you are going to get at it.
In fact, writing articles and distributing them to free article directories used to be one of the best ways to promote your website a decade ago. Although it is not as popular as it used to be, I am still getting traffic from articles that I wrote over eight years ago.
Even if you have never written an article, there are easy ways and templates available that enable anybody to write a decent article and post it online.
If you have never written an article for your blog or website, this is a good place to start.
When it comes to web article writing, creating a high quality article for online publishing may appear a fairly easy task, until you actually have to do it. Writing for an online audience is quite a bit different from writing a school term paper or novel or short story. If you can learn to do it well, writing for an online audience can be a very productive pursuit and many people make a full time income doing just this.
How to write an Article for your Website
When you set out to write an article for your website or even for a client,make sure you do so with one aim in mind – to satisfy your human readers.
If you don’t have a website, isn’t it time you started one? Here is the easiest way to do it.
Many article writers still make the mistake of writing their articles with only search engine optimisation (SEO) in mind. But here is the deal – search engine algorithms have evolved tremendously over the last few years and what once was considered the norm (i.e. writing with a specific keyword density in mind, placing keywords in specific areas of the article, etc., etc.), is now very much outdated.
If you think about it, search engines really do want to present the very best search results to their users, and this means results being as related as possible to the query that was put into the search box by the user.
Search engines will not present a result based solely on the keyword density of a page or whether the main keyword has been presented as near to the beginning or as near to the end of the article. Instead, search engines now present information that they feel will be the most beneficial for the user.
Bearing the above in mind then, it would make sense to write an article as naturally as possible, letting it flow smoothly and allowing the reader to effortlessly devour the information contained therein. In other words, write an article that speaks directly to your audience, one that offers value in relation to the topic covered. At the end of the day, content that is deemed useful will engage the person reading it and will therefore meet the reader’s requirements (the reason for reading the article in the first place).
On top of all this, surely an article writer will find it much easier to write naturally rather than write something specifically with SEO in mind. When you are looking to write a piece to be proud of, the last thing you want to be doing when the creative juices are flowing is stressing over keyword placements and density and other such distractions. Any experienced content writer will tell you that they cannot produce their best work if they are weighed down SEO issues.
So when you sit down to write an article for your blog, website, or client, focus on the topic at hand and make sure you write the article for the reader – not for some search engine bot!
A good type of article to start off with would be a top 10 list type of article, as these are quick and easy to write.
Here is a checklist on how to write an article for your website:
- First, decide on a topic that is relevant to your website.
- Find a keyword to use that has low competition. You can use this keyword tool if you like. If you are not sure how to do keyword research, click here. You can get ideas by asking yourself what words you would use to search for an article on this topic.
- Think of an aspect of your topic that you can turn into a helpful list for your readers.
- You could name your article something like ‘top ten ways to…’ or ‘three steps to….’ or even ‘five questions to ask if……’
- Make sure to use your primary keyword two or three times as you write your article, but never overdo it.
- Make sure the title of your article has the keyword in it so that people on search engines will find it easily.
- Start your article by writing a description of one or two sentences telling the reader what they will get out of reading your article.
- Sell the article in the first paragraph and make sure to use your keyword here.
- Write short paragraphs in easy to understand language.
- Use headings, bullet points and pictures to make your article more appealing to the eye.
- Once you have written down your main points, end the article with a short paragraph using the main keyword once more.
- If you have a call to action, use this at the end of your article.
- Read through your article and check for spelling and punctuation errors. Make sure that you have answered the question or satisfied your reader according to the title of your piece.
So that’s it. This is how to write an article for whatever purpose you intend it for. Please let me know how it goes by commenting below.
426 total views, 1 views today