Grocery shopping is something we all have to do, even though choosing the right foods can be very difficult. Healthy grocery shopping on a budget makes it even more difficult, as we all know that healthy foods are far more expensive than processed foods.
To assist you with your healthy grocery shopping, the tips below can indeed help make things a little easier:
1. Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. This makes you want to put more into your trolley and it will normally be the wrong types of foods.
2. Select canned fruits and tuna that are packed in water, not oil or syrup. The foods packed in oil can pile on the calories, and the syrupy fruits do nothing good for your sugar levels. If possible go fresh with tinned fruit.
3. Look at the labels for the words “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated”. The earlier you see them appear on the list, the higher the amount of unhealthy trans fatty acids the food will contain.
4. Don’t buy turkey with the skin on it, and if you plan to buy chicken – buy a chicken breast meal. Of course it is cheaper to buy meat with the skin on, but then make sure to cut it off at home before you cook.
5. When you select frozen dinners, select those that are not only low in fat, but low in sodium and cholesterol as well. Frozen vegies are also a good option.
6. If you aren’t consuming enough dairy products, go with calcium fortified orange juice instead.
7. Go for whole grain breads, cereals, and rolls.
8. Give cantaloupe a try. With just 95 calories, half of the melon will provide more than a day’s supply of Vitamin C and beta carotene.
9. Don’t be tricked into buying yogurt covered by nuts or raisins, as the coating is normally made of sugar and partially hydrogenated oils.
10. Get some of the low fat treats, such as pretzels, ginger snaps, and angel food cake.
11. If you see something on special, and it will keep, buy in bulk. Thus you save in the long run.
By following the above tips when grocery shopping, you’ll avoid the bad foods and get those that you need. There are many different healthy foods at the grocery store, all it takes is the will power to go past the bad foods and on to the good ones.