Many people aren’t aware of the importance of setting goals and how to go about achieving those goals. It is possible to set goals for more than one area in your life, and here is some advice on how to make all those dreams come true.
There are three main areas in your life and you will need to set some main goals at least for each of these areas.
They are namely:
- Personal Goals
- Professional Goals
- Health Goals
So What Is The Importance Of Setting Goals?
One of the biggest issues in the lives of people today is that many have no idea why they get out of bed in the morning.
In fact, many people hit the snooze button over and over, due to the fact that they have impotent goals or no goals at all.
They have no idea of the importance of setting goals, and thus have nothing to get up for.
Getting out of bed, just to go earn a paycheck and pay bills, is not very inspiring. Yet the clear majority of people live their lives that like. If that sounds like you, then it is time for you to decide WHY you are on this planet.
Humans are target seeking and when the ability to find a target and aim for it, starts to erode, then stagnation sets in. Children without knowing it, have targets, learning to walk, run, read, and have many fun friends are some of their targets.
In setting your top three personal goals, you need to start asking yourself a series of questions.
- Who do I want in my life and why?
- Do I want to contribute to the world, so that people will remember when I am gone?
- Do I want to grow as a human being?
As you start asking yourself these types of questions, you start to form a mission statement for your life.
An example of this would be:
“I want to love fully and be loved. When I give of myself personally, I get back what I put out into the universe. I want to help children become loving, contributing individuals that only desire to help others. I want to learn new things every day and in this, I will grow into a better person.”
When writing out in paragraph form, the goals that you have for your personal life, you are telling your subconscious mind what your target is, and it will assist you in hitting the target dead center.
Professional goals tell you what you need to do in order to thrive in the business world. No matter what your career is, there are steps you must take in order to advance. Write out what you need to do in order to further your career. Examples would be:
1. I need to learn to communicate better with co-workers.
2. I need to learn how to put forth my ideas to management in a level-headed way and learn how to negotiate better so that my ideas come to light.
3. I need to take courses that propel my career and show management that I am serious about advancing my career with the company.
Without good health, your personal and business goals will not mean much. When you are unhealthy it impacts the ones that you love as well. Working while unhealthy is difficult especially if you are in pain frequently. Health goals are why goals. Ask yourself why you need to change something about your health. Let’s look at chronic pain and see why you need to try and find a solution:
- I am in chronic pain and I snap at those I love and those I work with. It makes the atmosphere around us quite toxic.
- When I am in chronic pain, I cannot do the fun things in life, with my significant other and my children. This leads to resentment on both sides.
- When I hurt, I cannot perform the functions of my job and this impacts me and my co-workers.
Everyone should have goals for their health no matter what condition they are in. Even people who are healthy can improve on something. Write out your top three health goals and how you are going to achieve them in the next 90 days.
Setting your priorities:
How to drill down to the most important 3 goals
When you set your goals, not all of them will be priorities in your life. The importance of setting goals is to work out what you need to make a priority and what can take the back burner.
There are things that must be done in your life that are urgent and cannot wait. You must decide on what is an urgent matter and what is a goal. An example of this, if you have had serious stomach pains for a few days. It is urgent that you see your doctor right away.
While this is urgent, it is not a goal. A goal in health would be (eliminating) garbage food from your life and lose 5 pounds in 10 days.
It is a good idea to prioritize your goals. You must decide what is most important to you before you begin to write out and start achieving your goals. A good way to do this is to make lists.
Try making a list of goals in each area of your life, from health, financial, spiritual, and personal. List out as many goals as you can but just describe it in two or three words.
Once you have your lists, go through each one. Start with the health goals and look down through the list and use the five most important ones.
If losing 10 pounds in a month is not that important to you, then you would write the number 1 or 2 beside it. However, if you have tried over and over to lose weight and you can never get past losing a pound or two before gaining it all back, then you may want to put a 4 or a 5 beside that.
As you go through your list after assigning a value, pick all the ones that are a 4 or a 5 and cross out the rest. Now if you are left with only three goals all with a value of 4 or 5, then you only need to rearrange them into the order of the top three. But if you had a huge list written and now you have 8 goals left with a value of 4-5, you are really going to do some heavy thinking here.
Analyze those 8 and visualize what each one truly means to you. Then begin again, assigning a value, and keep doing it this way until you have finally drilled down to your top three.
Once you have the health goals drilled down, make sure you have them highlighted so you don’t get confused and then move onto your financial goals. Work your way through everything, this is important so don’t skip any steps.
Here Some More Important Goal Setting Tips:
Write Down Your Goals
The act of focusing your mind around the things that are most important to you and writing (or typing) them makes all the difference.
This action sends a clear message to your subconscious mind and let’s it work for you behind the scenes. When you write down your dreams and goals, they become much more than just ideas. They actually start to materialize.
Remind Yourself Of Your Goals Several Times A Day
Spend some quality time reflecting on the goals in all areas of your life.
Consider where you want to be in three months, one year, and three years’ time. This process will create an amazing force of focus that will attract more ideas, solutions, and results into your life.
Review What You Have Achieved
Look at what you have achieved in your life and remind yourself that you are fully capable of achieving more when you put your mind to it.
Ask These Questions For Each Goal On Your List
- Why do I want to achieve this goal so much?
- Why is it so important to me?
- What will I gain from achieving this goal?
- What am I missing now that this goal will provide?
- Who else will benefit from me achieving this goal?
- What price am I willing to pay for going after this goal?
- How will I know when I accomplish my goal?
- How will I measure success?
- Do you truly believe that you can accomplish this goal? You should not know how yet but do you believe you CAN?
- Can you identify an interim goal that you certainly believe you can achieve?
- Who will I have to be/become to achieve this goal?
- What’s holding me back or what may stop me in the future?
- Make your goals personal and describe them in the present tense.
- Phrase your goals positively. State exactly what you want, not what you don’t want.
- Make sure your goals are yours, and yours alone.
- Commit yourself to the pursuit of your goals.
- Share them with your family, close friends, and maybe a support team.
- Review and visualize daily see it, hear it, feel it.
- Take action and make progress daily.
- Review your plan and adjust occasionally.
So as you can see the importance of setting goals and more than one is outlined above. Please feel free to comment if you have any questions. To read more about the importance of setting goals, click here.
396 total views, 1 views today